Our Guide to Tree Stump Removal
Stump Grinding! Check out our guide on tree stump removal – we have put this article together as an easy to follow guide on everything you need to know about stump removal. We look at the reasons why stump removal needs to be executed properly, what stump grinding is and the step by step process – we get down ‘to the root of the matter’!
The Importance of Tree Stump Removal
There are more reasons then you probably think to remove stumps from your property; landscaping projects and new structure builds like a shed, carport or gazebo are common reasons for removal. But did you know that diseased stumps can spread decay, growing mould and fungi, they also attract pests such as termites, rodents, and snakes?
Stump suckering is another common problem, ‘suckering’ occurs when the stump sprouts new shoots and before you know it your tree is regrowing.
Trees and stumps may need to be removed for aesthetic reasons or the structural integrity of foundations and underground infrastructure. Old trees can become a hazard or even a liability, they can potentially cause large or expensive problems.
There are many ways to hack away at an old stump, however, none are as efficient and quick as grinding the stump from the base, this eventually causes the root systems to die, as nourishment is no longer being dispersed by the tree. All you are left with is a large pile of nutritious mulch for your garden.
Check out our blog on Three Ways to Tackle Tree Stump Removal and decide for yourself!
What is Stump Grinding?
So, what is Stump Grinding and why is better to hire a professional?
A stump grinder can chop and grind its way through a stump, down into the root system of a tree up to 30cm depth, this means you are left with a hole that you can then fill with soil or the resulting mulch.
The Grinder itself is a heavy piece of machinery that is manually controlled, it has very sharp rotating teeth. These machines are hard to use and take quite a lot of grunt, making them a dangerous piece of equipment; that is why it is better to call your local stump grinder rather than do it yourself.
We have listed the step by step process of stump grinding so you will know what to expect when you call Gold Coast Stump Grinders:
- We make sure any rocks and debris are cleared from around the base of the stump and that as much of the tree has been removed as possible.
- Our team inspects the area for any likely underground services then place our custom-made protective shielding to stop any flying debris and to ensure a safe working environment.
- After determining the size of the stump, the accessibility, and any hazards we bring the stump grinder on-site.
- The grinders teeth are then set over the stump, then the grinder is manually swung over the stump and starts to grind away at the wood/root system.
- The wood is broken down by the grinder, turning it into premium mulch drawn from organic wood and soil from your garden.
- The mulch will be used to fill the hole left by the stump, creating an ideal site for new seedlings and plant life.
Stump Grinder Access
We have two different size machines, both can squeeze through tight spaces, our smaller guy can access areas with a diameter of 750mm it will grind away roots to the depth of 200mm, being able to squeeze through garden and pool gates, or buildings close to a fence line. Our big machine has a width of 1000mm and will grind roots away at 350mm.
Both of our grinders can almost fit anywhere.
Gold Coast Stump Grinders
At Gold Coast Stump Grinders, we pride ourselves on professionalism, safety and efficiency, we usually, quote a job over the phone without visiting the site, simply send us a few photos of your stumps and the access point, a measurement of the diameter around the widest part of the stumps.
We can usually get to your job within a day or two as stump grinding is that fast and efficient!
We offer fast free quotes and accept payments via EFTPOS, bank transfer or we can invoice you.
Give the team at GCSG a call today on 0402 579 381